Bronze Star is a prerequisite course for candidates wanting to enroll in Bronze Medallion but is not 13 years of age. This course is also an excellent preparation course for success in Bronze Medallion. In Bronze Star, candidates will develop leadership, problem-solving, and decision-making skills. Participants will work individually and within teams. CPR is a component of the Bronze Star and candidates will learn CPR and other lifesaving skills needed to be their own personal lifeguards. This course is an official training program of the Lifesaving Society formerly known as the Royal Lifesaving Society.
Bronze Star Course Length:
The length of a bronze Star course ranges from 18 to 25 hours.
Bronze Star Course Content:
The content of this Course is described in detail on the pages of this website. Participants enrolled in Bronze Star will learn the following skills and knowledge:
- Deep and shallow water entries.
- Backward roll and huddle position.
- How to recover an unconscious victim from deep water.
- Retrieval of the submerged object.
- Retrieval and carry of the submerged object followed by follow-up on a manikin.
- Support a 10-pound object at the surface of the water for 10 minutes.
- Swim a 100-meter individual medley with a shoulder loop and line in less than 3 minutes.
- Swim 400 meters in 12 minutes or better.
- How to find and count pulse and respiration rates on a partner.
- Single rescuer cardiopulmonary resuscitation on an adult manikin.
- How to immobilize a spinal injured breathing victim on land.
- Simulation of a weak swimmer, non-swimmer, unconscious victim, and injured swimmer.
- How to perform and recognize different hand signals.
- How to walk the perimeter of an aquatic facility to locate a submerged object within 30 seconds.
- How to perform a search of an area with both shallow and deep water.
- How to perform a low-risk rescue of a non-swimmer or a victim with external bleeding and how to assist a victim to safety by showing the ability to avoid direct contact.
- How to perform a rescue of an unconscious, non-breathing victim in deep water and return the victim to the beach, poolside, or dock.
Additional Notes for Bronze Star:
- All items in this course are instructor evaluated.
To successfully complete Bronze Star candidates must successfully complete all the water proficiency, first aid and recognition, and rescue skills and knowledge posted above. For more detail about the criteria required for any of the above-mentioned content select the content from the main or side menu.